Tuesday, May 24, 2011

So Happy Together!


Hayley's blog post, 2012, inspired me in many ways. She described the phenomenon of the world ending in 2012 and how people view it. While some don't believe in it, some picture horrors, and others are thinking on a more positive note; most people have formed an opinion on what they believe will become the outcome of 2012. Personally, I don't believe the world will end. But it did make me think about the end, which is imminent. We have been discussing happiness and various graphs associated with happiness in America. But what about something more general? How would the happiness graph look like of the human race throughout the course of history?

I believe, unfortunately, it would be a downward facing curve (like in the righthand corner). It starts out with the very first humans. Living a very animalistic life and without any advanced tools, these early humans lived very difficult lives. And not being as intelligent as modern humans, they would have less capacity to appreciate experiences. As time went on, the happiness rose. People learned to become innovative, interact with the earth, and love each other. Yet beginning with the industrial revolution and the rise of technology, people have lost touch with these simple facts of life that provide happiness. They have become so enfatuated with themselves and their issues for the future t that they have neglected what it is that makes them happy in the future.

So, what would your graph look like?

1 comment:

  1. My graph would probably be similar to the parabolic one you showed, but instead of diving down at the end, it would rebound and start heading upward at a gentle slope. I believe that as you get older, you appreciate things more; I may be more stressed at this point in my life compared to other points, but I can enjoy my freedom and experiences more now than ever.

    ReplyDelete