Saturday, June 4, 2011

Meta-Mega-Blog-Post

I just had a lot of fun re-reading my bog posts-I can't believe junior year is over! My blog really displays the progress I've made in my writing since the beginning of the year. My first blogs were vague, timid,and standard. Now, by really pushing my limits as both a writer and thinker, my blogs are more thought-provoking, daring, and (need I say it) actually interesting.

I think the blog that best demonstrates my growth is A Teenage Dream. I take something we discuss in class, put a creative angle on it, relate it to the material we are reading in class, and ask a thought provoking question. I think it fits one of the main goals of blogging: making the reader look at themselves, America, and the world in a different light. I also included several links and media within the blog, which I have struggled with since day one.

I also think what has changed is the genuineness of my blog posts. I used to make myself blog every Sunday and force myself to come up with a topic. If it didn't relate to class or American Studies whatsoever, I would force it to. These made my posts seemed forced and strained. However, I began to blog whenever an idea came to me. My posts were all derived from class activities or other people's blog posts(such as Doc Oc's White Trash post inspiring my post, Rich). I could have, however, posted a link to his blog. And for that matter, many of my blogs could have used more "gravy." Some of my blogs, such as Rich and So Happy Together had no media at all. This leaves them just sort of "blah" and doesn't incite interest or excitement.

Overall, I'm really glad we had to keep a blog this year. At first I was very apprehensive, but looking back I realized how much I've grown. Although the freedom a blog gives you can be scary, it is also very liberating and by the end completely worth it. (Of course there isn't an end. Everything is just one big cycle right?)

1 comment:

  1. Val,

    Like how you reiterated the ultimate goal of blogging and how you got closer to that as the year progressed. I think your "cycle" is moving forward! ;)

    ReplyDelete